Sunday, December 18, 2011

Waffles

We received a waffle iron/griddle for our wedding three years ago and used it once.  Once!!  It's ridiculous!  Luckily W wanted to have people over for the Pats/Broncos game and I wanted to have breakfast for dinner so we got an opportunity to bust out the waffle maker.  After a little research (and a friend's blog) I found this recipe for "Waffles of Insane Greatness" on the Food Network site.  The waffles were exactly what I hoped for, and I made extra so we could freeze them and have them for breakfast during the week.

Thanks to The Cooking of Joy for pointing me in the right direction!  I made them with buttermilk because that's what other reviewers suggested and I liked the results.  I also appreciated how I didn't have to spray my waffle iron with cooking spray. I love non-fussy recipes!

Waffle of Insane Greatness


Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup whole milk or buttermilk
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Butter and syrup, for serving

Directions

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; mix well. Add the milk, vegetable oil, egg, sugar and vanilla and mix well. Let the batter sit for 30 minutes.
Preheat a waffle iron. Do not use non-stick spray on the waffle iron; the oil in the batter will allow the waffle to release easily. Follow the directions on your waffle iron to cook the waffles. Serve immediately with butter and syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment