Thanks to Rachael Ray for the recipe! I know there are lots of RR haters out there, but this recipe is solid.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cans (14 ounces) chicken or vegetable broth or stock
- 2 cups orzo pasta (enriched rice may be substituted)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano or Romano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat a 8 inch pot with a tight fitting cover over moderate heat. Add oil, onion and garlic and saute for 2 or 3 minutes. Add broth to the pan and bring to a boil. Stir in orzo and return broth to a boil. Cover pot and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until liquid is absorbed and pasta tender. Remove lid and stir in cheese. Season with salt and pepper to your taste. You favorite fresh herbs may also be stirred into the orzo or rice to strengthen the flavor even more.