Thursday, February 24, 2011

Baked Potato & Hard-boiled eggs

This sounds like the worst breakfast/dinner/snack I could come up with, but I just wanted to catalog these two recipes.  They're really easy but I wouldn't have thought of them myself!  I like this baked potato recipe because it doesn't require copious amounts of aluminum foil.  I like the hard-boiled egg recipe cuz it hasn't failed me yet.  I needed two hard-boiled egg yolks (of all things) for a recipe today, so it came to my rescue.  This totally proves that cooking/baking isn't necessarily intuitive.  I need help with even the simplest of things!

 Thanks to Alton Brown and Gluten-Free Girl for the recipes!  

The Baked Potato Recipe  from Good Eats (Alton Brown)

Ingredients

  • 1 large russet potato (If it looks like Mr. Potato Head(r), you've got the right one.)
  • Canola oil to coat
  • Kosher salt

Directions

Heat oven to 350 degrees and position racks in top and bottom thirds. Wash potato (or potatoes) thoroughly with a stiff brush and cold running water. Dry, then using a standard fork poke 8 to 12 deep holes all over the spud so that moisture can escape during cooking. Place in a bowl and coat lightly with oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt and place potato directly on rack in middle of oven. Place a baking sheet on the lower rack to catch any drippings.
Bake 1 hour or until skin feels crisp but flesh beneath feels soft. Serve by creating a dotted line from end to end with your fork, then crack the spud open by squeezing the ends towards one another. It will pop right open. But watch out, there will be some steam.
NOTE: If you're cooking more than 4 potatoes, you'll need to extend the cooking time by up to 15 minutes.

Hard-boiled eggs from Gluten-free Girl (just from dialogue with her husband, The Chef)
“Start with cold water, a splash of vinegar, six eggs. Bring it to a boil. Turn it off. Let it sit for 12 minutes. Run cold water over them. You’re done.”

No comments:

Post a Comment