I love carbs, so naturally I love bagels. I used to mourn when they got stale but now I rejoice because I can make bagel chips! I brought a huge container of these to work and they were gone within 4 hours.
Stale savory bagels (at least two days old, but make sure they're not moldy), not pre-cut
1. Cut bagels vertically so you have small, round bagel chips, approximately half a centimeter in width. Try and make sure they're all about the same size so they bake evenly. You and your bread knife will be best friends after this.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil.
3. Put the bagel pieces in a gallon-size plastic Ziploc bag, then add olive oil (approx 1/2 to 1 tbsp per bagel, but you can adjust it based on your preference.) Mix it around so all the chips have olive oil on them; they shouldn't be drenched. Once they're coated, add garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Shake the bag to evenly distribute the spices.
4. Place the bagel chips on the baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for approximately 9 minutes or until lightly browned. Baking time will vary based on the size of your bagel chips.
5. Let the chips cool and then enjoy! They should be nice and crunchy. If they're a little on the soft side put them in the oven for another minute or two- you can check this pretty soon after you've taken them out of the oven.
*You can mix the olive oil and spices together first and then mix them in the plastic bag.
*Alternatively, you can brush each bagel chip with the olive oil mixture on both sides, but I'm too lazy to do this.
*You can also mix them in a bowl, but just make sure you can visualize the chips so they have the right amount of olive oil on them.
*Feel free to add other spices for different tastes!